Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Needle Case tutorial





These are ever so simple. Most people probably could have worked this out without needing a tutorial, but I thought I'd do one anyway. Just for the hell of it.

1. Cut two pieces of fabric into 24 x 13cm rectangles.

2. Cut a piece of batting the same size.

3. Cut a ribbon into two 12cm lengths.

4. Pin together all four: batting, cover, ribbon and lining. Sandwich the right sides of your fabric together, leaving the lining uppermost.


5. Sew together, leaving a 5cm gap at the bottom. Remember to reinforce beginning and end of sewing, so it doesn't fray when turned inside out.


6. Snip around edges with Pinking Shears, cutting close to corners.


Like my Pinking Shears? Not sure whose they were but possibly from my Great Grandmother.


7. Carefully turn inside out.

Using a bright yellow chopstick, gently ease corners out. Ignore the un-manicured thumb please.

8. Pin, then hand stitch the opening closed.


9. Iron flat.

10. Cut a piece of felt to size, pin in position and sew down the middle.


11. Fold in half and press.


12. Trim ribbon edges.


13. Done!


Post me some photos if you make a needle case, as I'd love to see what other people make.

3 comments:

re said...

That is such a stylish needle case, thanks for the tutorial.

Giulia said...

Hi, this is mine!!!
http://giulinelpaesedelriciclo.blogspot.com/2009/12/uh-vedete-che-avevo-fatto.html

Stephanie T said...

What a fab idea! I am going to make one for my mother-in-law. Super cool.

http://perfectlyupcycled.blogspot.com