Sunday, October 18, 2009

Early Awakenings

It's just gone 6am, and I'm wide awake. Bright eyed and bushy tailed unlike other people who shall remain nameless.

In fact, truth be told, I've been awake for ages, listening to the soothing sounds of the Islamic call to prayer, reaching us all the way up on the 21 st floor.

KL is full of beautiful mosques, with fantasic domed roof's and minaretes.
Despite never having been a religious person, I find it moving nonetheless and can appreciate the rituals and traditions that go hand in hand with the belief.

Despite knowing Malaysia had a large islamic community, I was quite surpised to see so many scarves women.
Not to sound trite, or disrespectful, but I do have scarf envy. Humidity does cruel things to my hair and I wouldn't mind a head covering myself!

We are headed to Pnnom Pehn this afternoon, but this morning we plan to see a little more of KL, starting with the Petronas Towers this morning. I've been gazing at them ever since we arrived and can't wait to get inside. Truly amazing buildings, and wanting to see them up close was a big part of wanting to visit Mslaysia. Iconic stuff.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Leone said...

That's the problem living in Australia ... it seems to be so far from 'everywhere else' .... your flight was probably only 8 hours, but it must have felt like a lot more.

This is why we are traveling so much while in Singapore. Get all the long flights out of the way!!

My longest was 31 hours last year when I went to Alaska .... but most of my friends here are from Texas and they all have a 23 hour flight to "go home" on holidays at least 2 or 3 times a year ... don't think I could do that, that often. :-(

When we flew to Siem Reap earlier in the year, it only took 2 hours... makes a huge difference when you are 'half way there'.

Enjoy the rest of your travels. I shall enjoy reading about them. :-)

Oscar said...

hi mum love you
can you please call us on skype with the viedeo thingo