Just a quick check in to share my successful Ginger Beer.
Despite all the warnings and concerns regarding glass bottles and brewing Ginger Beer, mine have been a roaring success. No explosions. Perfectly carbonated.
This is what I think I did right:
1. Very well sterilised bottles. I put mine through the rinse/dry cycle of my dishwasher. This is how I sterilise my jam jars too, and it works every time.
2. Only filling the bottles 2/3 full, allowing lots of room for carbonation.
3. New bottle seals. Everytime.
4. Kept them outside in a cool spot. Just in case.
5. Small batches so I'm never storing too much at any given time.
6. Chill each bottle well before opening, and open very slowly, preferably over the sink. Think Champagne. It does fizz and bubble over initially and will make a huge mess if you aren't prepared. You can see just how bubbly it still is after a few minutes in the photo above.